These are three samples of intercessions. If you have your own particular intention you would like to add, you may do so, but please make the priest/deacon aware of this intention.
Priest: Now that we have heard God’s word in the Bible and experienced the Lord’s presence in this exchange of vows, let us present these petitions for people in the world today.
(The response is “Lord, hear our prayer”)
- For our Holy Father on earth, the Pope, all the bishops and the clergy everywhere that they may lead us to deeper faith in God and a stronger love for others, we pray to the Lord.
- For our president and all leaders of government that they may be effective in achieving peace and eliminating poverty, we pray to the Lord.
- For married persons that they may continue to give, be able to forgive, and find happiness deepen with the passing of each day, we pray to the Lord.
- For N and N, now beginning their life together, that they may have divine assistance at every moment, the constant support of friends, the rich blessing of children, a warm love reaching out to others, and good health until a ripe old age, we pray to the Lord.
- For those who are sick, lonely, discouraged, or oppressed that they may be strengthened by God’s help and aided by their friends, we pray to the Lord.
- For those who have died, especially the relatives and friends of N and N and of all present for this wedding, that they may enjoy perfect happiness and total fulfillment in eternal life, we pray to the Lord.
- For these personal needs which we mention now in silence (pause), we pray to the Lord.
Priest: O ever-living and caring God, Jesus taught us to ask, to seek, and to knock. We have just done so, confident that you will now look upon our many needs, consider our trusting faith, and in your great love grant these requests which we present to you through Jesus Christ our Lord.
We have listened to the word of God. Let us now ask God to listen to us, to bless our words of prayer which we offer for the people of the world.
The response is “Lord, hear our prayer”
For leaders of Church and state
for heads of institutions,
for heads of homes and households
that they will lead us and guide us
in the search for God and the good life,
in the search for peace and joy
in the search for love among us – we pray to the Lord.
For all married people:
for those who married yesterday,
for the new couple, N and N, married today,
for those who will marry tomorrow…
that they may savor the joy of being together,
warm love, and children,
a long life, wine, and friends,
and a new day, every day – we pray to the Lord.
For all young single people
who look forward to a vocation
full of life and full of love – we pray to the Lord.
For the lonely old and the lonely young,
for the hungry rich
and the hungry poor,
for the sick in body, mind, and spirit,
for the weakness in all of us – we pray to the Lord.
For our relatives and friends
who walk with us on life’s journey
and for those who have gone before us
to the other side of life.
For the fulfillment of all their unfulfilled desires – we pray to the Lord.
These are our words of prayer today for ourselves and all human beings. Tomorrow there will be others. Lord God the beloved of humankind who has first loved us, give our words by your listening the power of your word so that all things may be accomplished sweetly and gently
for the happiness of all. Through Christ our Lord.
God has given us promises in the word of scripture. Lee and Kara have given their promises to each other in their marriage. This hour of promise is also a time of prayer. We turn to God our Father and make our response by saying “Lord hear our prayer”
For our Church, to keep the promise of salvation, we pray to the Lord:
For our world, to keep the promise of peace, we pray to the Lord:
For our country, to keep the promise of freedom, we pray to the Lord:
For our parish, to keep the promise of discipleship, we pray to the Lord:
For our hearts, to keep the promise of loving, we pray to the Lord:
For our hands, to keep the promise of giving, we pray to the Lord:
For our lives, to keep the promise of growing, we pray to the Lord:
For N and N, to keep the promise of marriage, we pray to the Lord:
Father, You have chosen us and given us your love, the power of the Holy Spirit in our midst. Hear our prayers today and keep us open. May our faith issue forth in action, our love show itself in deeds, and our hope give us courage. We ask this through Christ our Lord. Amen.